Silver Lining

Food for thought

Palestine: Plans to build 4,195 units in J’lem, 263 arrests during last month & demolitions

(File photo)

(File photo)

IOA approves plans to build 4,195 settlement units in J’lem

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC)– The Israeli occupation authority (IOA) approved the building of 4,195 new housing units in settlements in occupied Jerusalem, according to the Hebrew newspaper Yerushalayim.

The newspaper said that the settlement expansion plans are ready for implementation after they were sanctioned by the Israeli district planning committee in Jerusalem.

The approved plans included the establishment of 1,500 housing unis in Ramat Shlomo settlement, 695 units in Pisgat Ze’ev, and 2,000 others in Gilo settlement,

Minister of housing Uri Ariel had said lately during a Knesset session that he had plans for the marketing of 2,500 units immediately.

In turn, head of the Israeli municipal council in Jerusalem Nir Barkat also pledged to build more hotels in east Jerusalem to accommodate the growing number of tourists who visit the holy city. These hotels are feared to be built on annexed Palestinian lands

The newspaper also claimed that Israel had built 2,199 settlement units in Jerusalem from 2009 to 2012, although it had approved the building of 8,460 units during these years.

————————————————————————————

263 arrests during last month

GAZA, (PIC)– The Israeli occupation forces arrested 263 Palestinians in West Bank and Gaza Strip during May, Ahrar center for prisoners studies revealed.

In its monthly report, Ahrar center stated that 90 arrests were reported in al-Khalil, 45 arrests in occupied Jerusalem, 22 arrest cases in Jenin, 20 others in Bethlehem, 40 cases were reported in Nablus, and 15 in Ramallah.

The report added that 4 Palestinians were detained in Qalqilya and 4 others in Tulkarem, while 11 Palestinians were arrested in Salfit and 5 in Tubas, in addition to 7 detainees from Gaza Strip.

The center director, Fuad al-Khuffash said that 13 arrests were reported at Israeli military barriers in West Bank including one at Karama crossing with Jordan.

The Israeli arrest campaigns during May have targeted Palestinian leaders and activists, the report pointed out.

————————————————————————————-

Gaza commemorates third anniversary of Freedom Flotilla incident

GAZA, (PIC)– Palestinian and Turkish citizens participated in a rally on Friday to commemorate the third anniversary of Israel’s deadly attack on Freedom Flotilla aid convoy in international waters off the coast of Gaza.

May 31 marks the third anniversary of the Mavi Marmara incident, an Israeli military raid on a Turkish-led aid flotilla to Gaza that resulted in the death of nine Turkish activists who were aboard Mavi Marmara ship.

Palestinian and Turkish national figures and activists as well as an Egyptian delegation attended the event that was staged at the Fishermen port in Gaza by the Turkish relief group IHH and the Palestinian interior ministry.

Deputy minister of the interior ministry Ghazi Hamad said in a speech during the rally that the blockade on Gaza is no longer a Palestinian issue, but it has become a matter of concern to the Arab and Muslim worlds.

Hamad also hailed the Turkish role in supporting Gaza people and their resistance.

For his part, Mohamed Kaya, director of IHH, stated that his organization, which organized the Freedom Flotilla convoy three years ago, would uphold its position in support of the Palestinian cause and continue its relief efforts until the liberation of Palestine.

Senior Islamic Jihad official Mohamed Al-Hendi, in turn, said in a speech on behalf of the Palestinian resistance factions in Gaza that the incident of the Freedom Flotilla convoy would be a reminder for the Palestinians that they are not alone and that Palestine and its holy sites belong to the whole Muslim nation.

Hendi described the Freedom Flotilla martyrs as historic icons that cannot be forgotten by the Palestinian people.

The participants in the rally carried photos of the Freedom Flotilla martyrs and banners in Arabic and Turkish asserting that they would always be in the Palestinian memory.

Palestinian children also threw roses in the sea waters in honor of the Turkish martyrs.

————————————————————————————-

Occupation demolishes 9 homes in the Negev

NEGEV, (PIC)– Palestinian sources in the Negev in southern 1948-occupied Palestine said the Israel Lands Administration teams demolished on Thursday Palestinian homes in the unrecognized village of Atir in the northern Negev.

The head of the village Khalil Abu Qian told Quds Press that this demolition is the second in two weeks. He noted that the occupation authorities demolished 9 houses inhabited by 180 people and a protest tent set up in protest at the demolition of the village’s houses.

Abu Qian added that teams of the Israel Lands Administration (ILA), accompanied and protected by Israeli occupation forces, have also uprooted a number of planted trees in the village and confiscated power generators and agricultural machinery.

He asserted that the villagers are determined to rebuild the destroyed houses.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s