Silver Lining

Food for thought

Palestine: US-Pal. teenager jailed for throwing stones, warnings about Israeli Strauss Center project & 100 arrested last week

US-Palestinian Teenager in Zionist Jail for Throwing Stones

Al Manar

The imprisonment by Zionist security forces of a 14-year old boy with joint US-Palestinian citizenship has provoked widespread criticism amongst human rights groups. The boy went before a military court on Thursday accused of throwing stones at Zionist cars.

Mohammad Khalek, who was born in New Orleans, was officially charged Thursday, along with two other youths, of pelting Zionist military and settler vehicles with stones outside the village of Silwad in the occupied West Bank.

The boy was arrested in the early hours of April 5th when heavily armed Zionist forces entered the family home. During the course of the arrest the braces on his teeth were broken.

The case was adjourned until next week, and his father, Abdulwahab Khalek, has accused the US of not doing enough to help his son.

Randa Wahbe, an advocacy officer representing Mohammad, told media outlets that the boy has been potentially abused while in detention.

“In the case of Mohammad, he was told by interrogators that if he confessed he would be allowed to go home with his father, but when he confessed, his interrogation was extended for a further two days,” she said.

Mahammad has not been allowed to see his father since then, except in court.

Defense of Children International, a human rights group, said there are 236 Palestinian children aged 12-17 among a total of 4,800 Palestinians in Zionist jails.

A UN study in March this year showed that the entity of occupation systematically and gravely violated the rights of Palestinians.

“The Israeli military’s treatment of Mahammad Khalek is appalling and all too common. There’s no justification for shackling him for 12 hours and interrogating him while refusing to let him see his father or a lawyer,” Bill Van Esveld, a researcher for Human Rights Watch, told Reuters news agency.

The Zionist authorities insist they need to crack down on potentially lethal stone throwing.

“These kind of events show you that throwing stones is not a game – it endangers innocent lives. The throwers age doesn’t change the fact that these objects kill, and it’s something we take seriously,” said a Zionist army spokesman.

Palestinians living on the West Bank are subject to a strict military law, which in theory means someone can be sentenced for up to 20 years for throwing stones at vehicles.

However, Palestinians also complain that they are regularly pelted with stones by Zionist settlers but that security forces rarely intervene even when there are witnesses.

————————————————————————————-

Warnings of seriousness of Israeli Strauss Center project

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC)– Islamic and national figures have warned of the seriousness of Strauss Center project in Buraq Square, considering it a destruction of Islamic relics and an attack on Islamic endowments and Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Sheikh Ikrima Sabri, head of the Supreme Islamic Council, said in a press statement on Sunday: “We have warned of the seriousness of this project before the start of its implementation, but the Arab and Islamic countries did not respond to our calls to deter Israel.”

He added that the Al-Aqsa Mosque vicinity, the Mughrabi wall, and the Buraq Square are all Islamic endowments, and charged that the Israeli project represents an attack on Islamic endowments and on the region’s residents.

He also stressed that there are no Jewish relics in the region, and that Israel wants to falsify reality and to change the landmarks.

Sheikh Sabri called on UNESCO to take immediate action to protect and preserve the Islamic antiquities.

For his part, head of Religious Endowments Council Sheikh Abdel Azim Salhab pointed out that the excavations taking place in the vicinity of and under Al-Aqsa Mosque have been going on since the beginning of the occupation and will destroy relics from different eras.

Sheikh Salhab stressed that Al-Aqsa Mosque is in real danger because of the Israeli authorities’ practices and the daily incursions by settlers.

He called on the whole nation to protect the Islamic heritage in the city of Jerusalem, and support the worshipers at Al-Aqsa Mosque.

The Jerusalem file official, Hatem Abdel Qader, also warned that due to the project of expansion of Strauss Center, the building will be overlooking all around Al-Aqsa Mosque, which constitutes a security threat to the Mosque and the worshipers inside it.

———————————————————————————-

Report: “Israel” arrested 100 Palestinians last week

RAMALLAH, (PIC)– A Palestinian statistics report said that Israeli occupation forces (IOF) nabbed 100 Palestinian citizens in the West Bank over the past week.

The report published by Hamas on Sunday said that most of those arrested were taken from Al-Khalil governorate where 26 citizens were detained.

It said that the other detainees were taken from Nablus, 17, Qalqilia, 15, Jerusalem, 12, Jenin, 8, Ramallah, 7, Bethlehem, 6, Tulkarem, 5, and Salfit, 4.

The report pointed out that the list included three women, two of whom were mothers of prisoners who were detained during visits to their sons, and five who were released from Palestinian Authority jails.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s